Projectors are most preferred to TV because they are technically cheaper considering they give a bigger screen size at a lower cost. However, most people are worried about the extent of projectors power consumption and how it would affect their electricity bills.
Notably, projectors have a high 4K resolution power that gives details to 4K content, and for this reason they are now being more preferred to TV. Picture quality is guaranteed and whereas TVs have a limit on how big they can be, projector screens are big enough to meet your changing needs. Projectors work best in dark rooms where they give a high contrast ratio, though with light colored projector rooms it’s easier to achieve quality images cheaply unlike the case of TVs. You can also read the article comparing the power usage of projectors and TVs to learn more on how these two devices are different.
Current Trends for Projectors
- Digital light processing projectors (DLP) -Pico pix Nano and Pico pix micro whose colors and lumen are brighter.
- Projector maintenance has been made easier by invention of filter free chips and imaging chips in DLP thus no chance of dust entering projected image. No need to clean filters like in the past.
- New DLP applications such as LED Pico projectors are small in size thus portability and mobility has been enhanced.
Since 2015, sales are continually increasing due to technological advancements being made from DLP to LCD to LCOs. LCOs being a hybrid between the two. Gaming industry is benefitting from 3D projector advancements.
Step by Step Procedure for Calculating
Calculating your projector’s power consumption in following steps;
- Check a label on projector that indicates energy consumption rate/ hour e. g. 50W.
- Calculate watt hours per day, i. e. how many hours is the device on use per day.eg 50W *2=100W per day.
- Convert watts to kilowatts, 1000W=1KW.therefore we will have 0.1KW.
- Check how much per Kw your electricity company charges. 1$ per KW, will be 0.1$ per day
- Multiply by days in a month will be 3$ per month.
What Determines the Electric Power Consumption of Projectors?
- Lamp less projectors use lasers to project image thus consume less power.
- Size of the screen also affects projectors power consumption, the bigger the screen the more lumens it uses for brightness hence more energy.
- If more brightness is desired, such as in case of outdoor events, the projector will consumer more energy.
- The usage of the projector is also a key consideration since more hours of use result in more power consumption.
- High resolution gives images and videos good quality and this consumes energy as well.
How to Reduce Power Consumption of A Projector
- Decreasing brightness in the settings or adjusting to energy saving option helps reduce power consumption though the bulb reduces in brightness, which is efficient eye protection for a well-designed home theatre room.
- The type of bulb used determines how much energy will be consumed. Bulb brightness is measured in lumens and the more lumens the more brightens it has and energy it consumes.
- Switching the projector off when not in use helps save on power as well as switching between devices.
- Getting energy efficient models such as the latest models ensures better resolution with low power consumption.
- Ensuring home theatre room is dark enough to avoid straining the projector to adjust lighting.
Power Consumption Difference between Indoor Vs Outdoor Projectors
While we enjoy indoor home theatre experience, it would be frustrating to try use the same devices for outdoor events. This is because the projectors and screens used indoor are tailored differently as those for outdoor. They may not properly adjust to outside conditions such as lighting etc.
Its necessary to purchase projectors and screens meant for the outdoors, whether portable or permanent. outdoor screens are well built to handle the outside conditions such as dust.
The outdoor screen you choose needs to consider the logistical and technical issues. The more light there is on the outdoor the more lumens will be used.
Throw ratio is also important to consider, this is the distance between the projector and the screen. Assuming the screen has a width of 7 feet and the throw ratio of the projector is 3, the projector should be placed 21feet away from the screen.
Contrast being the ratio of darkness to light in images, its what enhances picture quality and determines video sharpness. A contrast of 2000:1 would mean your whitest areas are 2000 times brighter than dark ones. The dimmer the outdoors the higher the contrast needed.
The more image quality you need the more resolution required especially for gaming and HD videos which increases cost of the device to buy.
Portability of screens and power availability is a consideration in outdoor events. A large screen is better for crowds and angling it away from distracting lights improves quality of images.
Determining the type of projector to use is important, throw projectors require you to place it away from the screen while short throw projectors require to be fixed in one place to keep the image large. Ultra-short throw projectors allow you to keep projector close to the screen for large image.
Deciding the type of screen to use is easy as there are varieties from folding frame, pop-up, DIY style screens etc. with recent trends portability has improved since the weights have been reduced hence light enough to carry.
Outdoor theatre devices require proper maintenance in terms of cleaning the filters to avoid clogging and increase lifespan of the instruments.
Energy Consumption Comparison of Projectors Vs Other Electronic Devices.
When comparing different types of projectors to TVs, projectors use more power and wattage to power the lamps. Many people would also be interested to know how projectors power consumption compare to other household electronics such as vacuum cleaner and refrigerator. Below, we will discuss this power consumption difference in terms of Watts.
Projector vs Vacuum cleaner power consumption
A vacuum cleaner encompasses the use of an air pump to suck up surface debris. A regular vacuum cleaner uses between 500 and 3000 watts. Nonetheless, an average model employs the use of about 1400 watts. Also, a vacuum cleaner’s use of power is dependent on the number of hours it is used, as well as the type. Energy efficient vacuums use between 600 and 800 watts as a result saving on energy.
Projector vs Refrigerator Power Consumption
Typically, the power consumption of a refrigerator typically ranges between 100 and 250 watts. In a day, a refrigerator mostly uses between one and two kilowatts (kWh) each hour. This is interpreted into a running cost of approximately 150 dollars each year. The original power consumption of the fridge is dependent on numerous factors. For instance, the type, size, position, season, age, condition, and temperature set point.
Energy Efficiency for Different Types of Projectors
- Energy is determined by lumens in a projector. The more they are the more power is consumed.
- Energy is also dependent on imaging technologies used;
1. Power Consumption of Digital light processing projectors.
- This consists of small mirrors projecting one pixel on the screen.
- Light is reflected from a lamp to projector screen to produce images. This is affordable and offers good image quality.
- On average, digital light processing (DLP) projectors consume 150-350 W of power of average, which is considered high.
2. Power Consumption of Liquid crystal display projectors.
- This consumes less power than non-lcd devices hence lower electricity bills.
- It also has longer lifespan depending on usage and maintenance.
- It provides backlighting which is effective and energy efficient.
- LCDs support all sizes of devices.
3. Power Consumption of Liquid crystal on silicon projectors.
- Being a hybrid of DLP and LCDs it allows for high resolution power.
- It also provides rear projection displays.
- Modern projectors are advanced versions of DLP, LCD and LCOs technology with high brightness, resolution and contrast ratio, while maintaining a low power consumption.
4. Power Consumption of 4K and UHD projectors.
- These give a real-life theatre experience with high resolution and more pixels, sharp and detailed images.
- They mostly use between 200-275 W, a good example being The Epson Home Cinema 4000 Series 4K Projector.
5. Power Consumption of Pico projectors.
- The DLP Pico tech has a micro chip that can be put in devices.
- These are smart projectors and can be used in smart phones and are easily portable.
- They generally have a very low power consumption.
6. Power Consumption of Laser projectors.
- These employ lasers instead of lamps or LEDs (solid states light sources) to project light.
- They are long-lasting and generate less heat.
- Laser projectors for home theatres are also on market.
- Their power consumption is generally above 250 W
7. Power Consumption of Smart projectors.
- Besides the projecting mechanism, these have processor, RAM and storage.
- They have operating system and can to the internet via sim or wifi.
- They commonly use about 300W per hour
Final Answer: Do Projectors Increase Electricity Bill?
Yes, projector will increase your overall electricity bill. However, the amount should be within the normal ranges. Besides, projectors make our events, businesses, education, home entertainment among other things smoother and more comfortable. It is therefore worth having projectors and the cost on electricity bill is slightly low and depends on usage and other factors we’ve looked into.
One could also note that the very first successful movie projected was a three in one, that is, a film camera, projector and printer in one. It was projected into a screen measuring 16m by 21m and over time evolutions have improved to where we don’t have to ship films physically, we now have timely electronic distribution.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS.
1. What is lens shift and why would I need it?
Lens shift give flexibility to where to place a projector relative to the screen. One can easily move projector lens without moving the projector.
2. Can one watch Netflix on a projector?
Android and iOS devices can install Netflix application and point phones at a wall using inbuilt projector to play shows and movies.
3. What is the difference between mini projector and a regular projector?
Mini projectors utilize built in smaller rechargeable battery which are light enough to carry around while regular projectors provide full size images and high quality.
4. Do laser projectors work better than bulb projectors?
Laser projectors have more brightness due to more lumens in the projector and maintains brightness over time as compared to lamp projectors which lose color quickly.
5. How many lumens do I need to project in daylight?
For color accuracy and good contrast you would need 3600 lumens.
6. What are Interactive Projectors?
This topic has been comprehensively covered in the article below.